|Introduction||Two Churches Join||Pastors|
|Manse||Church||Through The Years|
|Chancel Choir||Handbell Choir||Ministers And Missionaries|
|Church Officers||Church School||Bible School|
|Dartball||Mary D. Null Class||Presbyterian Camp|
|Youth Group||Women's Association||Community Outreach|
The Calvin United Presbyterian Church (CUP) is affiliated with the PC(USA) and is a member of the Redstone Presbytery and the Synod of the Trinity. Through the denomination CUP participates in the National Council of Churches of Christ in America and the World Council of Churches. In our community CUP actively supports the Scottdale Association of Churches and the Pennsylvania State Council of Churches. CUP resulted from the union of the Calvin United Presbyterian Church (1875) and the First Presbyterian Church (1874), consummated by the Presbytery on Sunday, April 21, 1968. CUP endeavors to fulfill the missionary calling of the church through Divine Worship, Evangelism and Christian Education.
Beginning in 1874 there were two Presbyterian Churches in Scottdale. The First Presbyterian Church of Scottdale, located on the corner of Mulberry and Chestnut Streets was organized by the Presbytery of Redstone in May of 1874. The founding or mother church was Reunion Presbyterian Church of Mount Pleasant, PA.
The United Presbyterian Church of Scottdale, located on the corner of Mulberry and Grant Streets was organized by the Presbytery Westmoreland in December, 1874. The founding or mother church was the United Presbyterian Church of Mt. Pleasant.
In August, 1968, the two congregations merged and became the Calvin United Presbyterian Church (CUP). The present day congregation of Calvin United Presbttterian Church is housed in the First Presbyterian Church building for which the cournerstone was laid in October, 1898.
In August of 1890, First Presbyterian Church called the Rev. James B. Lyle. At the time, Rev. Lyle was in his pastorate at Hookstown, Beaver County, PA. He was formally installed at The First Presbyterian Church of Scottdale on December 23, 1890, and remained for nearly 17 years. During his tenure, the church grew steadily from 100 to more than 500 listed commuicants, and related activities developed and increased aswell. Morning and evening services averaged attendance of well over 200. Sabbath school was an important acivity with attendace exceeding church attendance.
Over the years, the following ministers and stated supply pastors served the churches:
|J.A. Nelson, S.S.||July 1875 to July 1876|
|R.B. Taggart, S.S.||May 1879 to Jan. 1880|
|J.M. Moore||Sept. 1885 to Sept. 1888|
|J.H. Moorehead||Jan. 1896 to Nov. 1898|
|H.W. Millen||June 1900 to Aug. 1920|
|Wm. C. Work||Sept. 1920 to Nov. 1929|
|A. L. Kenyon, D.D., S.S.||Jan. 1930 to March 1935|
|G.R. Krupp, S.S.||May 1935 to May 1936|
|T. McKee, S.S.||Sept. 1940 to Nov. 1957|
|Doyle Snyder||1958 to 1961|
|C.E.Hamnett, S.S||Dec. 1961 to April 1968|
|J.H. Stephenson||Nov. 1876 to June 1883|
|E.S. Robinson||May 1884 to Jan. 1886|
|Z.B. Taylor||July 1887 to April 1890|
|J. B. Lyle||Dec. 1890 to May 1907|
|J.E. Hutchison||Oct 1907 to Oct. 1924|
|J.W. Witherspoon||Mar. 1925 to Mar. 1946|
|Wm. R. Johnston||Sept. 1946 to Aug 1951|
|C.E. Hamnett||Mar. 1952 to April 1968|
|Charles E. Hamnett||April 1968 to Jan. 1982|
|Glen H. Burrows, Interim||Feb. 1982 to Aug. 1983|
|F. Michael Lama||Sept. 1983 to April 1991|
|Norie Erickson, Interim||July 1991 to Jan 1993|
|Stephen M. LaSor||Jan. 1993 to Nov. 1997|
|Ross S. Bash, Interim||April 1998 to Oct. 1999|
|Sylvia Carlson, Interim||Jan. 2000 to May 2000|
|James W. Hepler, D.Min.||May 2000 to March 2008|
|Jane L. Young, D.Min., Stated Supply||Aug. 2009 to Sept. 2010|
|Leonard B. Morgan III, CRE*||Oct. 2013 to present|
* Commissioned Ruling Elder
Prior to the arrival of Rev. Lyle, First Presbyterian Church pastors lived in rented quarters. Shortly after his arrival, the congregation elected to build a manse. Trustee's records contain the following note: "..in pursuance with instructions from the congregation, it was ordered that Mr. S.J. Zearley be authorized to prepare plans and specifications for a parsonage." In August, 1891, the congregation purchased a lot at the southeast corner of Loucks Avenue and Grant Street. Cost for the lot was $800. The manse was erected for a total cost of $3,200.
The congregation of First Presbyterian Church apparently first considered constructing a church building as early as 1897. In February, 1892, the Trustees took an option for the lot which the present church stands. The congregation authorized the purchase of the lot and the Trustees purchased the lot on April 19, 1898 for $3,300. Three days prior to the purchase of the lot, architect J.E. Allison's building plans were exhibited at a congregational meeting.
After the congregational meeting on April 16, 1898, the Trustees proceeded immediately to secure bids and a contract was awarded to Eicher Brothers at a projected cost of $14,500. The final cost proved to be much higher. The art glass windows in the west and north walls cost an additional $1,000, pews $745 and heating plant $444. Final cost, without an organ, but including lot, sidewalk and furnished building was $22,973.48. The old church and lot were sold to A.C. Overholt for $2,400 in April, 1900.
Over the years, there have been many articles given to the church, some in dedication and others in love. Two memorial windows were donated and placed in the front facing Chestnut Street: the "Angel" window was given by Mrs. Abram Ruff of Mt. Pleasant in memory of her mother, Jane Parker; the other window, "Jesus as a boy", was given by the congregation in memory of Pastor Lyle's wife, Elizabeth. The church organ, valued at $5,000, was the gift of Andrew Carnegie. For all these gifts and many more, we say "Thanks and To God Be The Glory".
The cornerstone of the new church was laid with appropriate ceremony on October 6, 1898. Contents of the sealed stone included a Bible, the Confession of Faith, pictures of children's day decorations of the old church, the Presbyterian banner of 1898, pictures of the old church building, local Scottdale, Greensburg and Pittsburgh Post newspapers and the program for laying of the cornerstone. Building was completed in April, 1900. The new church was dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 15, 1900. The balance of the building debt was paid off in 1920 with the very material assistance of the Ladies Aid Society.
After 17 years, Rev. Lyle resigned his pastorate in April of 1907. In August of that same year, Rev. James Hutchison was called as the new pastor. He was installed on October 23, 1907. During his tenure, some 700 new members united with the church and the greatest number of communicants thus far reported to Presbytery, 720, were listed on April 1, 1924.
In the early years of Rev. Hutchison's ministry, church attendance averaged 300 in the morning and 250 in the evening. Wednesday evening prayer meeting was attended by upwards of 100 persons. Toward the end of World War I, there began a gradual decline in attendance at the evening meetings, and Sunday evening worship was eventually abandoned in 1938.
Rev. Hutchison took a consideraable interest in the older boys Sunday School class, and this interest led to an incidental activity of the church. Beginning in 1910, it became the custom for the boys class to spend a vacation period in the mountains on Indian Creek near Champion, PA. In 1911, a track of land was purchased and within a year, a substantial log cabin was erected on the tract and became the main cabin of what later became Camp Redstone.
In September of 1924, Rev. Hutchison attended his last session meeting, and the church was without a pastor until the Rev. John W. Witherspoon was installed in March of 1925. Rev. Witherspoon's ministry was the longest in the church's history up to that time. At the time of his resignation on April 1, 1946, he had served as pastor of the church for 21 years and one month. During Rev. Witherspoon's first years as pastor, until the Great Depression of 1929, the church continued to prosper. During this period the Sunday School was enlarged and the church building substantially improved.
In May, 1927, the congregation approved a mortage in the amount of $35,000 for enlargement of the Sunday School and replacement of the furnace and plumbing. The hot air furnace was replaced with a moden double boiler, low pressure vapor system. The plumbing was completely renewed and additional toilet facilities provided. New lighting was placed in the sactuary. The belfry tower (which had never been used as such) was lowered by some 20 feet. An educational wing was added. More space was provided for the church "orchestra", which reached its zenith during the years from 1916 to 1929. During those years, public concerts were given in Scottdale and neighboring communities with as many as 60 members participating. As was the case with some other church activities, the orchestra went into a gradual decline during the depression and was finally abandoned in 1944.
The Great Depression had a profound effect on the church. Plants closed and families moved away from Scottdale. The church debt, which was moderate in relation to the financial condition of the church when it was untaken, grew as the depression years continued. In 1935, total contributions to the church, both general and benevolent, fell to a low of $3,800, the lowest in over 38 years. During these years, nothing was paid on the principal of the bonds. By April 1936, back interest amounted to $5,040. Face amount of the outstanding bonds was $27,800. A compromise settlement with the bond holders of 70 percent was reached, and a new mortgage for $8,000 was placed. The additional sum was raised in cash, and the bonds wre retired on February 14, 1938. This left the church with a debt of $8,000 which was finally paid off on February 14,1944.
The financial record was not all dark during the depression years. In 1936, the church received a bequest for $8,913.66 and a few years later, a gift of $3,000.
After serving for 21 years, Rev. Witherspoon resigned in April, 1946. He stayed on as supply pastor until a call was issued and accepted by Rev. William R. Johnston. Rev. Johnston was installed on September 11, 1946.
During Rev. Johnston's pastorate, several new organiztions were created in the church. The Westminster Fellowship was organized for the youth. In December of 1946, the young adults organized, and in November, 1947, Carroll E. Shupe was elected president. The Youth Budget plan was instituted in April, 1947 as the systematic plan of giving for the youth of the church and Sunday school.
The office of Minister's Assistant and Church Secretary was established by the Session and Trustees. Since it was established, the following persons have served: Ida Parker, Jesse Engle, Ruth Hays, Mary Hays, Isbelle Hays, Mona Chain and Kathee Ramsey, who currently serves in this capacity.
In 1951, Rev. Johnston resigned and Rev. Charles E. Hamnett accepted a call to The First Presbyterian Church. He was installed as pastor in January of 1952. In June, 1968, Rev. Hamnett was reinstalled as pastor of Calvin United Presbyterian Church of Scottdale when the United Presbyterian Church and the First Presbyterian Church consolidated. Rev. Hamnett served as pastor of the church for thirty years, longer than any previous minister on record. He will long be remembered for introducing dartball to the Scottdale area churches.
During Rev. Hamnett's ministry, many improvements were made to the church building, including installation of new carpet, reconstruction of the church tower, new kitchen facilities (1961-1963) a new gas-fired hot water heating system (1965-1966), and renovated church school facilities. In 1970, the pipe organ was completely rebuuilt, including the chimes that were added in 1958. New pews to match the remodeled church were added in 1979.
Rev. Hamnett and his wife Mary Louise were very interested in the youth of the church, serving at Camp Redstone and as advisors of the Sunday evening youth group. During his tenure at Calvin, Rev. Hamett wore many hats. He had a great many talents which he willingly shared in all facets of church life, including plumbing, painting, electrical wiring, janitorial tasks and cooking. This was in addition to his duties as teacher, preacher, advisor and care giver. And, he was also an able assistant to Miss Hays in the church office.
In January of 1982, Rev. Hamnett resigned and enteed semi-retirement. He and Mary Louise moved to Crafton where he served part time until his full retirement due to ill health. He spent his final years at the Presbyterian Home in Washington, Pa, until his death in October, 1994.
In 1983, the Rev. F. Michael Lama, serving as assistant pastor of Central Presbyterian church in McKeesport, received a call to serve Calvin United Presbyterian Church. While at Calvin, Rev. Lama actively promomoted the Melody Makers. During his pastorate, the church women formed a quuilting circle and also created the Chrismon Tree with handmade Chrismons that are still in use today. Further improvements to the building were made during his pastorate, including refurbishing of the stained glass windows spearheaded by Elder Paul Camlin in 1988 and 1989, and refubishment of the church nursery, Sunday School rooms and offices. Rev. Lama served Calvin until April, 1991.
In January of 1993, Rev. Stephen LaSor accepted a call to serve at Calvin. He came to Scottdale from Rapid City, South Dakota. During his pastorate, Rev. LasSor was active with the youth group. He also started the fellowship group "Dinner for Six" and the Chicken and Rib Barbeque which has become an annual event. Rev. LaSor also strengthened the role of the Deacons. He served CUP until November, 1997.
Twenty nine months went by with our church being ministered to by supply and interim pastors when, miraculously, 100 years after our church was dedicated, a call was extended to the Rev. Dr. James W. Hepler to serve CUP Church. Pastor Jim was unanimously accepted on Easter Sunday, April 16, 2000 and installed with a glorious celebration on June 4, 2000. Since his ordination in 1980, he had served as assistant to the pastor, associate pastor, and pastor (head of staff) at the Parkwood United Presbyterian Church of Allison Park.
Before being able to take up residency at the church manse, several minor repairs and exterior painting needed to take place. On completion of these projects, Pastor Jim and his wife Debbie and family officially made 611 Loucks Avenue their home on June 16, 2000.
Since his pastorate began at CUP this Summer, Pastor Jim has participated in Vacation Bible School, our church became involved in Scottdale's "Lunch in the Park," we will again take part in the "Fall Festival", and are getting "Dinner for Six" reorganized. Beginning in September 2000, Pastor Jim will lead a weekly Bible Study for members as well as the community at large. A New Sunday morning structure will begin September 10, with Sunday School for all ages from 9:30-10:30 a.m. followed by a weekly Fellowship/Coffee time from 10:30 a.m. until morning worship at 11:00 a.m. Sunday morning worship attendance is gradually increasing and Pastor Jim's contagious warmth and friendliness is spreading thoughout the church and its congregation as he extends an invitation to members and the community to come and worship and gather in fellowship as we work together to build Christ's Church.
The Chancel Choir is a source of great joy and is a distinct asset to our church. Throughout the years, the following persons served as choir director: William Lang, Ray McClintock, , W.V. Whiteman, E.D. Fuller, Mrs. Leo Skemp, J. Mendell Hirst, Mrs. George Hazen, Mrs. J. Frank Kenney, Violet McCloy, Lex and Ruth Porter, Charles Coughenour, Lillian Anderson, Lynda McAlister, Debbie Crawford, and Carey Ann LaSor. In 1999, Marlena Solomon graciously accepted the position of Choir Director and continues to bless us not only through directing the choir, but also with her magnificent vocal solos throughout the year.
In 1951, the Women's Association under the leadership of the late Mrs. Puff and Mrs. Hirst sponsored a Youth Choir. We are deeply indebted to the many choir members who have served over the years. The choir not only prepares and presents music to enhance Sunday worship services, but also provides music for special programs throughout the year.
Of course, the choir could not be the choir without the accompaniment of the church Organist. Persons who have served in that role include Florence Muir, W.V. Whiteman, and Lyman Fuller. Miss Evelyn Pahel served for many years beginning in 1929 until July 1963. In 1963, Mrs. Marilyn "Tottie" Kiefer took the position of "temporary" organist and continued in that position for more than 28 years! Darla Thieler, our present organist, who is gifted not only as an organist, but also as a brilliant vocalist, began her position with the church in 2002.
In 1974, under the vision and inspiration of Rev. Charles Hamnett, a two-octave set of Schulmerick Handbells was ordered as part of the youth program of the church. Mrs. Marilyn "Tottie" Kiefer was asked to teach and direct the handbell program, a task and labor of love she enjoyed for over 28 years. Tottie was instrumental in establishing the first choir, which consisted of junior and senior high school youth, and later a second all-girl group of ringers was formed. Both choirs rang for church and school programs as requested. Next a junior bell choir was formed. They attended festivals at area college campuses, and in 1976 rang with the Area II Festival at Valley Forge. In 1985, the church bought a set of Malmark Choir Chimes for the newly formed children's choir, the "Melody Makers." Over the years, the choir has gradually become an all adult bell choir, affectionately known as the Classy Clappers" or "Ding-a-Lings," and has been ringing together since 1986. At present, the choir is under the direction of Nola LoNigro who amiably accepted the position of Bell Choir Director in 2002. Every year throughout the fall, winter and spring seasons, the choir ring for churches, organizations, banquets, weddings, etc. Each spring, the choir joins together with twenty five to thirty other handbell choirs to play in the North Hills Handbell Festival, a public event that is enjoyed by everyone who attends.
For more information look at the Calvin United Presbyterian Church Handbell Choir web site.
Three sons of the church have entered the ministry; Rev. Frank Sisley, Rev. David W. Gove and Rev. James Chain. Richard Watson, a gifted young man is currently serving as a commissioned lay pastor for the Leisenring Presbyterian Church. He serves as a supply pastor in Westmoreland and Fayette counties and continues his studies in the ministry.
A daughter of the church, Karen Crawford Collins and her husband Stan, have served as missionaries in Tortuguitas, Argentina through the Greater Grace World Outreach since March, 1996. Stan is a professor at the bible college there, and Karen teaches women and children. The church family keeps in contact through letters and yearly visits with Karen and Stan.
For many years, the financial affairs of the church were in the hands of a nine-member Board of Trustees, each elected for three-year terms. In 1964, a Unicameral board was formed, combining the ecclesiastical and corporate functions of the church. Since that time, the congregation has elected Elders and Deacons to serve and lead the church.
Elders are elected by the congregation to serve for three-year terms. The number of Elders depends on the number of members in the congregation. At present, there are twelve Elders on the Session. In order to strengthen and maintain the church, the Elders serve on subcommittees. The subcommittees of the Session are: Stewardship/Finance, Christian Education, Fellowship, Property, and Worship/Mission/Outreach. In 1956, the first female Elder, Mrs. Martha Forsythe, was ordained. Today there are 6 men and 6 women serving on Session.
The Deacons serve the church under the supervision and authority of the Session. Their duties are to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless and anyone who may be delegated to them by Session. Some functions that the Deacons perform include purchase of memorial flowers for funerals, organization of greeting and acolyte volunteers, and changing of the paraments accordilng to the church session. Deacons also collect the offering, aid the youth in delivering flowers to the shut-ins at Christmas and decorate the church for the Christmas season. Today there are 12 members on the Board - 8 women and 4 men. Some of their fund raisers include: Salad Smorgasbord the second Friday of May and October each year, and the sale of Christmas Cards late in the Fall. Some of their mission projects include: Headstart Christmas gifts, Dove Tree for Christmas, and Funeral Flowers.
The absence of accurate records prevents a complete history of our Sunday School. We know that the Sunday School was started before the church was formally organized in 1874. Through the years, the Sunday School benefited from the spiritual guidance of such persons as D.H Kelley, G.F. Kelley, E.L. Stoner, C.E. Thurston, William Laing, J.I. Dick, A.D. Oberly, A.J. White, J. Frank Hardy and a great many others. Particular note is given to J. Frank Hardy and his orchestra which was a part of our Sunday School until 1944.
Although smaller in number today than in our past, the Sunday School continues to be a guiding force in understanding God's plan for us. Our Sunday School has been enriched by many individuals who have been dedicated teachers and who have worked with our children on many special programs. Sunday Shool classes are provided for nursery age children through adults.
A Bible school was organized under the direction of Rev. Charles Hamnett in the mid 1960's. Calvin United Presbyterian Church hosted the community Bible school for St. Paul's Lutheran Church and the Trinity Evangelical Reformed Church for many years. At present CUP joins with four neighboring churches in conducting a community Bible school.
In 1953, Rev. Hamnett introduced dartball to Scottdale. The first league had six teams, including the Baptists, Church of Christ, Presbyterian, Reformed, Christ United Methodist and Trinity United Methodist. Today there are fourteen teams in the league. The season starts in September and contlinues through March. Games are played each Monday evening. Two divisions have been formed, the American and the National. They play each other four times to make up the season. Playoffs were originally held at the YMCA, but as the league grew, it outgrew the YMCA's facilities. Today, the games are played at various churches. Through the years, the Presbyterians have won their share of playoff trophies. Each year, a banquet is held in one of the churches, and an annual picnic is held in August. The Dartball League has created much fellowship among the men of the member churches.
In 1925, a group of young adult women organized a class. Mrs. Ida Parker was instrumental in organizing the class, and served as the first teacher until Mrs. Mary D.Null took over. The class quickly became the lifeblood of the church. For many years, their major service project was serving meals to the Scottdale Rotary Club. Profits were used to help pay the interest and principal on the church mortgage. In the early 1960's, the class remodeled their meeting room. The last teacher of the class was Charlotte Westerman. The meeting room has been refurbished and is now known as The Mary D. Null Parlor.
In 1911, the church purchased thirteen acres of ground for a camp site at the forks of Roaring Run and Indian Creek in Champion, PA. In 1913, Huch Ynne, named after the Rev. J.E. Hutchison, was erected. Huch Ynne became the main cabin of a group of family cabins and other buildings. In 1950, Redstone Presbytery erected a recreation hall called Calvin Hall. Operation of the camp came under the supervision of a committee headed by the pasor and congregational members selected by the Session. Title of the property was held by the church, but the finances were kept entirely separate. The camp was self-supporting and operated on a non-profit basis. It served as a family and church camp until it was sold in 1974.
Over the years, many individuals have devoted their time to leading the church youth. In the early years, the youth group was known as the Christian Endeavor Society. In 1944, the Westminster Fellowship was formed. Today, Barbara Stern serves as sponsor of the group of approximately 12 active members. Activities include keeping in touch with the shut-ins and older members of the church; the youth visit elderly members in their homes, taking fruit baskets at Easter, home-baked cookies on Mother's Day and complete meals from time to time. When the youth prepare and deliver a meal, at least one youth member stays to share the meal with the recipient. At Christmas, the youth group, with the assistance of the Deacons, goes Christmas caroling, presenting poinsettias and cards to the shut-ins.
Fund- rasing activities include an annual Valentine Dinner and the "thirty-hour famine". Other money making projectsinclude T-shirt and calendar sales and car washes. Proceeds are used to support a child through the World Vision Hunger Program. Each month, money raised from the fund-raising activities is sent to provide schooling, clothing and supplies for their child.
The Youth Group has fun too. In 1997, the youth and their leaders traveled to the Milton Hershey School in Hershey, PA. They spent a night in one of the student homes, and visited Hershey Park and Chocolate World. Each winter, they also spend a week-end camping in the mountains south of Uniontown.
Presently (2003), the youth group has 9 active members under the leadership of Ruth Shannon and Pastor Hepler. Their present Fund Raisers/Activities include: 30 Hour Famine, Bowl-a-Thon for Cystic Fibrosis, Valentine Dinner, Sell of Christmas Ornaments, World Vision "Love Loaves", Car Wash, Spring or Fall Retreat. Their present Misson Projects include: Support of little boy from Malawi - $22.00 each month plus birthday, Christmas and special gifts; donation to Cystic Fibrosis; donations from Love Loaves - ½ to World Vision, ¼ to Food Pantry, ¼ to Pine Springs Camp; donations from 30 Hour Famine - World Vision. They meet every other Sunday at 6:30 p.m. - all young people in Jr. and Sr. High are welcome.
Shortly after the church was organized, a Women's Missionary Society was formed. There were twelve original members. In 1949, Rev. Johnston organized a Women's Auxiliary to work with the church, with responsibility for raising funds to help with church expenses. Thirty-one women attended the organizational meeting, and Miss Jane Parker was named president. The group was divided into circles. The Auxiliary sponsored the youth choir and an annual Halloween Parade Night Pie Social, which continues today. In 1958, the Auxiliary and the Missionary Society merged to form the United Presbyterian Women's Association. A group known as the Pinnacle Club was fored to honor members who were 90 years of age or older. Those honored at a dinner in 1987 were: Edna Storey, Charlotte Westerman, Harriet Leaman, Teresa Lint, Grace Sherrick, Olive Lipps, Gertrude Jarrett and Marian Momyer.
The Women's Association serves the chuch financially and through many other activities. One of the most appreciated services they provide is to serve a meal to family and friends following the funeral service of a church member. In lieu of a meal, $25 is given to the Memorial Fund in memory of the deceased. There is also an active prayer chain for members and friends who are ill or who have special needs.
The Women's Associatin also participates in the collective mission of the larger church. Collections are added to that of other churches and used for missions. In addition to a $700 yearly pledge to Presbyterial, the Associatin participates in The Birthday Offering. Each member gives a gift of pennies equal to her age. In 1998, one-fourth of the birthday money was given to a clinic in Pittsburgh to help low income families receive free dental and medical treatment.
In November of each year, the Women's Association sponsors a Thank Offering featuring a mission speaker. The offering from this service is donated to mission work. The Association has contributed to Karen and Stan Collins' missionary work in Argentina. In addition, the group sponsors a boy from Thailand, Krit Skuljaidee, contributes to the Mars's Children's Home in Mars, PA, the Sunset Gap Center in Tennessee, and the Care Givers of Fayette County. Through their contingency fund, the Women's Association has also contributed toward the support of the church.
Additional offering received each month at Circle Meeting is "Least Coin" - in addition to regular offering, Presbyterian women are also asked to give their least coin. Over the years, this meager offering has helped bring fresh water to draught stricken areas, helped with sanitation problems, medical problems, education and many other needs.
Fund Raisers: Pie Social on Halloween Parade Night and Rummage Sales in May and October each year.
Additional Mission Projects: Salvation Army, Mom's House, Food Pantry
In May, 1996, a luncheon fellowship was organized. One Saturday a month, Festal Hall was opened to all for food and fellowship. This program continued until March 1999.
The community Food Pantry, sponsored by the Scottdale Association of Churches, has been located in our church since March 1993. All churches of the Scottdale Association of Churches collect food from their local congregations and deliver it to our Food Pantry. The Pantry is an emergency food source for people in the Scottdale area and serves many, many families throughout the year.
CUP opens its doors to several local organizations who use the facilities as a meeting place.
On Sunday, October 4, 1998, a celebration marking 100 years since the laying of the cornerstone was held. A special service to mark the occasion was conducted by the Rev. Ross S. Bash, interim pastor. At the dinner following the service, the 100 year-old contents of the Cornerstone (opened earlier by stone mason Richard Baker) were revealed by Florence Shupe and Ruth Shannon. Although the contents were greatly deteriorated due to water damage, the moment was uplifting.
New items from today's world were placed in the Cornerstone box and sealed for another 100 years, to be opened again in 2098. Articles placed in the box include: a copy of a sermon; the current church directory; a Bible; Scottdale and Greensburg newspapes; a Time Line; the guest registration book; an annual report; Session minutes; a list of current officers; bulletins from October 4, 1998 worship and 100thAnniversity Cornerstone Celebration; church newsletters from October and November, 1998; photocopies of the original minutes of organization dated February, 1898; a bulletin from 1971; copies of the music used in the October 4, 1998 worship service; photocopies of the orginal minutes of organization date February, 1898; a bulletin from 1971; copies of the music used in the October 4, 1998 worship service; a copy of the letter of invitation to the 100th Anniversary Cornerstone Celebration; a newspaper from 1998; copies of a quesstionnaire from the 100th Anniversary Celebration Dinner; a rummage sale ad; a small handmade bead cross by Ruth Shannon; a CD of music used by the youth in the "thiry-hour famine"; a Book of Order for 1998/1999; several newspaper clippings concerning various church members; coins and a $1 bill.
In keeping with the same time line as the original cornerstone laying and dedication services, we celebrated the 100th anniversary of the church building on Sunday, April 16, 2000.
The material presented on this web page was taken from "THE CALVIN UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH BOOKLET 1900-2000". The information was compiled by the Centennial Booklet Committee and was done in memory of, Marjorie D. Mihm, a member of that committee. The original editing of the booklet was done by Chris Bash. Updates to keep this page current, were given by Kathleen Ramsey. A special thanks to all of those who helped compile this history.